LSU Law is pleased to announce its inaugural Apprenticeship Week, an innovative and unique new program of practical legal education. From January 6 to January 10, 2014, master lawyers and judges will teach LSU Law upperclass students in small enrollment, hands-on mini-courses. Each mini-course will aim to provide students with focused, task-oriented training not generally available in law school courses and usually available only through actual practice experience.
“Apprenticeship Week is designed to serve the needs of today’s LSU Law students and to meet the demands of the profession for genuinely practical training in the law,” said LSU Law Center Chancellor Jack M. Weiss. “We expect that Apprenticeship Week quickly will become an important part of the LSU Law tradition of demanding, yet personal, legal education.”
Among the skills in which LSU Law students will receive intensive practical training from participating lawyers and judges are these:
- The Care and Feeding of Expert Witnesses: James P. Roy, Managing Member, and Brian Colomb, Member, Domengeaux Wright Roy & Edwards, L.L.C., Lafayette, LA
- Advanced Appellate Brief Workshop: Michelle S. Stratton, Baker Botts L.L.P., Houston, TX
- Why Should the Judge Listen to Me? What Makes Judges Read and Hear What Lawyers Say: Honorable Lee H. Rosenthal, United States District Judge, Southern District of Texas
- Effective Representation of Oil & Gas Clients, Jonathan A. Hunter, Shareholder, Liskow & Lewis, New Orleans, LA
- The Ins & Outs of Mid-Size Firm Practice: Edwin G. Preis, Jr., Founding Partner, Preis & Roy PLC and Robert M. Kallam, Partner, Preis & Roy PLC, Lafayette, LA
- Lawyering and the Legislative Process: Mark D. Boudreaux, Senior Director, Federal Relations ExxonMobil Corporation, Washington, D.C.
- Managing the Personal Injury Case: Edward J. Walters, Jr., Partner, Walters, Papillion, Thomas, Cullens, LLC; Darrel Papillion, Partner, Walters, Papillion, Thomas, Cullens, LLC, Baton Rouge, LA
- Negotiating and Drafting the Commercial Lease: Sterling Scott Willis, Partner, Fishman Haygood Phelps Walmsley Willis & Swanson, L.L.P., New Orleans, LA
- Representing Clients Effective in Mediation: Lynne Rothschild Stern, Principal, Louisiana Mediation and Arbitration (LAMA), New Orleans, LA
- Selecting and Managing Juries: Timothy F. Daniels, Member, Irwin Fritchie Urquhart & Moore LLC, New Orleans, LA
- The Strategy and Drafting of Dispositive Motions: R. Patrick Vance, Partner and Leader, Business & Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Jones Walker, New Orleans, LA
“For much of our history, lawyers were trained by serving as apprentices to the accomplished lawyers of the day,” said Chancellor Weiss. “These veterans shared with their apprentices the legal know-how and judgment that comes only with experience. Abraham Lincoln, Daniel Webster, Justice Robert Jackson, and many other luminaries were trained through the apprenticeship system. LSU Law Apprenticeship Week seeks to recreate the spirit of that valuable personal and practical training in the setting of modern American legal education.”