Potential Field Placement Host Organizations
The LSU Law Center’s faculty permits students to participate in field placements with three general types of host organizations:
- Local, administrative, state, and federal judges,
- Attorneys working for local, state, and federal government agencies, and/or
- Attorneys performing legal services with a public interest non-profit organization.
All field placements must enter into a memorandum of understanding with the LSU Law Center to be approved as field placement hosts. A sample draft memorandum of understanding is available for download at this link. (Questions about the draft MOU should be directed to Prof. Jeff Brooks.) Field placement hosts are also provided with the Law Center’s Field Placement Supervisor Handbook.
Student participation in any field placement course must be approved by the Director of Field Placements and by the placement organization, and is subject to the following Law Center-imposed limitations:
- Family members: Students may not work in a placement where that student’s family member or relative is an attorney, judge, or staff person.
- Repeat placements: Students may not repeat a field placement unless they can demonstrate that the repeat placement will provide an opportunity for significant educational development through a different experience that offers greater responsibility and tasks of greater sophistication. Students should also note that they can take each of the four field placement courses only once!
- Previously-paid jobs: Students may not, in most cases, convert a job that was advertised for pay into an unpaid field placement. Students may also not apply for field placement credit and also for funding by the LSU Law Center’s Public Interest Law Society.
- No direct compensation: The LSU Law Center does not permit students to receive financial compensation for work done at a field placement; however, students may receive reimbursements for necessary expenses incurred (parking, etc.) if such is offered by the host placement organization.