1. Abbreviations (button names)
- EN: Articles of the Digest in their original translation into English.
- FR: Articles of the Digest in their original French text.
- EN/FR: Both English and French texts of the Digest.
- MG: General manuscript notes referring to the different Titles of the Digest (Books 2 and 3 under construction).
- MGI: Images of the general manuscript notes referring to the different Titles. Also includes images of: Cover Page, Foreword, Abbreviations, Synopsis, Index, and Manuscript index.
- MA: Article-based manuscript notes referring to individual articles of the Digest (Books 2 and 3 under construction).
- MAI: Images of article-based manuscript notes referring to individual articles.
2. Finding your way through the articles of the Digest
- The Digest is divided into three Books. Each Book is divided into Titles. Titles may be divided into Chapters, Chapters into Sections, and Sections into Paragraphs.
- Unlike modern Codes, articles are not numbered in a continuous manner. The numbering restarts with article 1, at the beginning of each Title.
- A click on EN gives access to the table of content in English and allows consulting the Digest in English.
- A click on FR gives access to the table of content in French and allows consulting the Digest in French.
- A click on EN/FR opens a second window allowing you to read the Digest in both English and French. However, the table of content will appear in English only. You must click FR to have it in French.
- To move to articles from the table of content, scroll down (or up) the table of content to reach the title or chapter you wish to consult. Click on the title name and the corresponding text will appear in the article window below.You can move up and down the articles by clicking ‘Previous’ or ‘Next’ in the frame below the article window.
At any moment, you can move from one language to the other or to and from the bilingual version, just clicking the EN, FR, or EN/FR buttons.
3. Consulting the manuscript notes
The manuscript notes are of two kinds:
- General manuscript notes pertain to a full title of the Digest, usually following the sequence of chapters and sections of the Digest but not always. To consult the typed version of these notes, click MG. To consult the photographic image of these notes, click MGI.
- Article-based manuscript notes direct you to the notes indicating the source document for most articles of the Digest. To consult the typed version of these notes, click MA. To consult the photographic image of these notes, click MAI.
You may move up and down in the manuscript notes using the ‘Previous’ or ‘Next’ buttons in the frame below the manuscript window. You may also navigate using the content table.
4. Circulating through the Digest
You may move up and down vertically through any part of the Digest (articles in English, in French, general, and article-based manuscript notes in typed or image version) using the table of content or the ‘Previous’ or ‘Next’ buttons.
You may move horizontally from and to articles in English or in French, general or article-based manuscript notes in typed or image version, just using the EN, FR, EN/FR, MG, MGI, MA, and MAI buttons, getting every possible version of or information on a given article or group of articles.
5. Research Engine
A search function will be added in the near future. It will allow thematic research, by word or combination of words, inside the English and the French versions.