The below was sent via email to students who indicated an interest in receiving Advocacy Programs emails during the 2019 summer break. Want to get these emails? Sign up at this link.
Happy summer, everyone! If you are receiving this email, it is because you indicated during the Spring 2019 semester that you wanted updates on the upcoming Advocacy Programs events that we’ll be offering this coming year. If you would like to unsubscribe from these emails, please reply to this email and let us know.
First, and most important, we have dates set for all of our fall programming! We have a number of exciting opportunities for rising 2Ls and 3Ls this coming fall, including three internal (LSU Law students-only) internal competitions, tryouts for all of our various highly-successful external traveling teams, and lots of training workshops to help you get ready. We put together a Google calendar with all of the important dates for you. (An iCal file, which you can use to import the calendar into other calendaring apps, is available here.)
Next, if you haven’t done so already, follow our social media pages (@lsulawadvocacy on Facebook and Instagram) and bookmark the Advocacy Program’s section of the Law Center website. We post a lot of reminders and events to our social media pages, and our Law Center website is where you’ll find all of the case files and registration links you’ll need to compete this year!
Finally, a quick walk-through/refresher of some of the various programs we offer:
Internal Advocacy Competitions – these are your chances to compete against your fellow students at LSU Law:
- Opening statements and jury persuasion: Opening Statement Competition (fall semester, 2Ls only)
- Criminal trial practice: Ira S. Flory Mock Trial Competition (fall semester, 2Ls and 3Ls)
- Appellate brief-writing and oral advocacy: Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition (fall semester, 2Ls only)
- Civil trial practice: Ira S. Flory Mock Trial Competition (spring semester, 2Ls and 3Ls)
- U.S. Supreme Court oral advocacy: Dean’s Cup Moot Court Competition (spring semester, 2Ls and 3Ls)
- Transactional practice and contract negotiation: Transactional Competition (spring semester, 2Ls and 3Ls
External Traveling Teams – these are your chances to travel elsewhere and compete against other law schools. All team members must try out. We break the teams into 3 different types of competitions, each with different tryouts dates and processes:
- Trial Advocacy (mock trial) – tryouts are Aug. 27 (for 3Ls) and Aug. 28 (for 2Ls)
- Moot Court (appellate advocacy) – tryouts are Sept. 10-11
- Dispute Resolution – tryouts are Sept. 19-20
Skills Workshops and Resources – we have a lot of resources available on our program website (https://www.law.lsu.edu/advocacy/resources/). We’ll also be offering a series of informal voluntary workshops on Fridays this fall, more info at https://www.law.lsu.edu/advocacy/resources/skills-workshops/.
We’ll be in touch throughout the rest of the summer with information on how to contact and work with the student Board of Advocates, teasers for fall case files, updates on tryout processes, and new resources for you to use as you prepare to compete! Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!Read More