Tullis Moot Court Competition
Named in honor of the late Dean Emeritus of the LSU Law Center, the Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition has been a tradition of honor since 1936. Teams of second-year law students write an appellate brief in a hypothetical United States Supreme Court case and then argue the case to panels of attorneys and judges in an oral advocacy tournament. This tournament consists of two preliminary rounds, with the top 16 teams advancing to the elimination rounds. Those teams then compete in a one-loss elimination bracket until a champion is determined.
The two winners of the Tullis Competition have their names inscribed on the Tullis plaque, which is located outside the Law Center’s Robinson Courtroom. All four finalists receive automatic invitations to membership on the Board of Advocates in the following year. Awards are also given to the top oralists and best briefs, with the winners of the Best Brief and Best Oralist awards also receiving automatic invitations to membership on the Board of Advocates.
2018 Tullis Competition
- 2018 Competition Problem: University of New Plymouth v. Dr. Winnifred Sanderson
- 2018 Corrections and Clarifications
- 2018 Tullis Moot Court Competition Rules
- Tullis Team Registration Form
The Board of Advocates has made copies of Best Brief winners from 3 prior Tullis competitions available in the Advocacy Resources folder. (Info on accessing the folder can be found on our Resources page.) Competitors are cautioned that these briefs are provided as examples only – competitors should be careful to ensure that briefs submitted comply with this year’s competition rules!
The LSU Law Library also maintains a library guide on appellate brief writing, it can be found here.
2018 Tullis Competition Schedule:
- Case File Released: July 16, 2018
- Team Registration Period: August 1-August 31, 2018
- Brief Submission Deadline: 9:00 am CST, Wednesday, September 5, 2018
- Preliminary Round 1: Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Preliminary Round 2: Thursday, October 11, 2018
- Octofinal Round: Monday, October 15, 2018
- Quarterfinal Round: Thursday, October 18, 2018
- Semifinal Round: Tuesday, October 23, 2018
- Final Round: Thursday, October 25, 2018