The Advocacy Programs are pleased to sponsor the Transactional Competition, an internal competition at LSU to develop students’ skills in transactional drafting and negotiation. The Transactional Competition will proceed in three stages:
- Students work in teams and prepare a proposed draft deal agreement.
- Each team writes mark-ups to draft agreements prepared by the teams they will encounter during the Preliminary Rounds.
- Opposing teams meet to negotiate the contours of the deal. Each team will represent one of the two parties to the transaction.
Second and third-year law students may compete in the competition as teams of two. Each team will be provided with a case statement that sets out the factual background for the problem and introduces the parties to the transaction. All teams will be provided with a precedent form of agreement. Teams will also receive a video recording of an interview with their respective client and will have an opportunity to communicate with their “client” as they prepare the proposed draft agreement.
This competition is modeled on the Transactional LawMeet, and a Transactional LawMeet case file is used with permission for educational purposes only.
2019 Transactional Competition
- Team Registration Deadline: January 21, 2019, by 5:00 pm
- Draft Agreement Submission Deadline: January 25, 2019, by 5:00 pm
- Responsive Markup Submission Deadline: February 4, 2019 by 5:00 pm
- Negotiation Rounds:
- Preliminary Round 1: February 12, 2019
- Preliminary Round 2: February 19, 2019
- Final Round: February 26, 2019
Case Statement, Rules, and Registration:
- 2019 Transactional Competition Case Statement
- 2019 Transactional Competition Rules
- 2019 Transactional Competition Team Registration (note: you will not receive the draft agreement, side assignment, or confidential client video until AFTER you register your team!)