The Advocacy Programs are pleased to sponsor the Transactional Competition, an internal competition at LSU to develop students’ skills in contract drafting and negotiation. The Transactional Competition will proceed in three stages:
- Students work in teams and prepare a proposed draft deal agreement.
- Each team writes mark-ups to draft agreements prepared by the teams they will encounter during the Preliminary Rounds.
- Opposing teams meet to negotiate the contours of the deal. Each team will represent one of the two parties to the transaction.
Second and third-year law students may compete in the competition as teams of two. Each team will be provided with a case statement that sets out the factual background for the problem and introduces the parties to the transaction. Teams will also receive a transcript of a confidential interview with their respective client, to give them insights into their client’s goals for the negotiation. All teams will be provided with a draft form of the agreement that they must “flesh out” with appropriate contract clauses and terms.
In the 2020 Transactional Competition, teams will draft and negotiation a U.S. $2.5 billion capital stock acquisition agreement, and will take the position of either a privately-held U.S. company looking or a multinational private equity investment firm that is seeking to expand their business in the United States.
2021 Transactional Competition
Details on the 2021 Transactional Competition will be released in mid-January 2021!
Case Statement, Rules, and Registration:
2021 Competition Dates:
- Preliminary Round 1: February 22, 2021
- Preliminary Round 2: February 25, 2021
- Final Round: March 1, 2021 at 6:00 pm