The Advocacy Programs are pleased to sponsor the Transactional Competition, an internal competition at LSU to develop students’ skills in transactional drafting and negotiation. The Transactional Competition will proceed in three stages:
- Students work in teams and prepare a proposed draft deal agreement.
- Each team writes mark-ups to draft agreements prepared by the teams they will encounter during the Preliminary Rounds.
- Opposing teams meet to negotiate the contours of the deal. Each team will represent one of the two parties to the transaction.
Second and third-year law students may compete in the competition as teams of two. Each team will be provided with a case statement that sets out the factual background for the problem and introduces the parties to the transaction. All teams will be provided with a precedent form of agreement. Teams will also receive a video recording of an interview with their respective client and will have an opportunity to communicate with their “client” as they prepare the proposed draft agreement.
This competition is modeled on the Transactional LawMeet, and a Transactional LawMeet case file is used with permission for educational purposes only.
2020 Transactional Competition
- Team Registration Period: Dec. 16, 2019 through January 21, 2019 at 5:00 pm
- Draft Agreement Submission Deadline: January 27, 2020 by 5:00 pm to email@example.com
- Responsive Mark-Up Submission Deadline: February 5, 2020 by 5:00 pm to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Negotiation Preliminary Rounds: February 12, 2020
- Negotiation Final Round: February 17, 2020
Case Statement, Rules, and Registration:
- The Spring 2020 Transactional Competition Case Statement (and Draft Stock Agremeent) can be found in the “Advocacy Resources” folder on the Law Center’s Restricted Drive (due to copyright restrictions). To access the folder, visit the LSU Law Center Remote File Access page (log in using your MyLSU credentials), and then navigate to Community Files -> Restricted -> Advocacy Resources -> Spring 2020 Transactional Competition.
- Note: You must register your team to receive your confidential facts and side assignment.
- 2020 Transactional Competition Team Registration
- 2020 Transactional Competition Rules