Opening Statement Competition
The Opening Statement Competition is an intra-school competition exclusively for second-year students. It is designed as an introduction to trial advocacy skills for second-year students interested in participating in LSU’s Flory Trial Competitions and various external traveling competition teams. The Opening Statement Competition is based on the Fall semester’s Flory Trial Problem, and is typically held in early September of the fall semester.
The Opening Statement Competition consists of two rounds:
- A preliminary round, in which each competitor will present their opening statement to a panel of Board of Advocates members.
- A championship round, in which the students who presented the top five opening statements for the prosecution and defense respectively will present their openings to a panel of attorney judges in order to be named the Opening Statement competition winner. The championship round will be held in the Robinson Courtroom.
2019 Opening Statement Competition Materials:
- Case File (Fall 2019 Flory Trial Problem)
- Competition Rules
- Registration for the 2019 Opening Statement Competition has closed.
Competitors are reminded that there are a number of online training resources available in the Resources folder that may be of use in preparing their opening statements.
The first #FastTrackFriday Skills Workshop Series session will cover Opening Statements, to assist students in preparing for this competition. The workshop will be held at 3 pm on Friday, Aug. 23 in Room 108. (Participation in this workshop is optional.)
2019 Opening Statement Competition Schedule:
- Competitor Registration Period: August 1-23, 2019
- Preliminary Round: Monday, August 26, 2019
- Final Round: Thursday, August 29, 2019