Opening Statement Competition
The Opening Statement Competition is an intra-school competition exclusively for second-year students. It is designed as an introduction to trial advocacy skills for second-year students interested in participating in LSU’s Flory Trial Competitions and various external traveling competition teams. The Opening Statement Competition is based on the Fall semester’s Flory Trial Problem, and is typically held in early September of the fall semester. The 2017 Opening Statement Competition will use the Fall 2018 Flory Trial Problem.
The Opening Statement Competition consists of two rounds:
- A preliminary round, in which each competitor will present their opening statement to a panel of Trial Advocacy Board members.
- A championship round, in which the students who presented the top five opening statements for the prosecution and defense respectively will present their openings to a panel of attorney judges in order to be named the Opening Statement competition winner. The championship round will be held in the Robinson Courtroom.
2018 Opening Statement Competition Materials:
Competitors are reminded that there are a number of online training resources available in the Resources folder that may be of use in preparing their opening statements.
The first #FastTrackFriday Skills Workshop Series workshop will cover Opening Statements, to assist students in preparing for this competition. The workshop will be held at 3 pm on Friday, Aug. 17 in Room 108. (Participation in this workshop is optional.)
2018 Opening Statement Competition Schedule:
- Competitor Registration Period: August 1, 2018 through August 18, 2018
- Preliminary Round: Monday, August 20, 2018 from 6-9 pm
- Final Round: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 from 6-9 pm