Flory Trial Competition
Named in honor of the late professor of the Law Center, the Ira S. Flory Mock Trial Competition is a mock trial competition open to all second-and third-year law students. A Flory Trial is held each semester; the fall Flory trial is traditionally a criminal case, while the spring Flory trial is a civil case.
Any 2L or 3L can participate as an attorney. Any student, including first-year students, can act as a juror or witness. Participating in the Flory trials is one of the best ways to get real-life experience and exposure to evidence and other rules of trial. (Coursework in evidence is not a required prerequisite to participate in the Flory Trials.) The finalists of each semester’s Flory Trials receive an automatic invitation to membership on the Board of Advocates.
Spring 2020 Flory Trial Competition
Spring 2020 Flory Trial Competition Materials:
- The Spring 2020 Flory Trial Competition problem, Capitol Line Cinema, Inc. vs. Addison West, can be found in the “Advocacy Resources” folder on the Law Center’s Restricted Drive (due to copyright restrictions). To access the folder, visit the LSU Law Center Remote File Access page (log in using your MyLSU credentials), and then navigate to Community Files -> Restricted -> Advocacy Resources -> Spring 2020 Flory Problem.
- Spring 2020 Flory Trial Competition Rules
- Teams should note that the Flory Rules have been substantially changed for the Spring 2020 competition!
- Flory Trial Competition Scoresheet (coming soon!)
- Team registration will open on January 2, 2020.
Competitors are also reminded that there are a number of online training resources and trial skills handbooks available in the Resources folder that may be of use in preparing their cases.
Spring 2020 Flory Trial Competition Dates
- Team Registration Period: January 2-January 22, 2020
- Preliminary Round 1: Monday, January 27, 2020
- Preliminary Round 2: Wednesday, January 29, 2020
- Quarterfinals: Monday, February 3, 2020
- Semifinals: Wednesday, February 5, 2020
- Final Round: Monday, February 10, 2020