Dean’s Cup Competition
The Dean’s Cup Competition is an appellate advocacy competition at the LSU Law Center in which students compete individually over the course of the entire spring semester for the right to claim the Dean’s Cup. The competition simulates oral argument before the United States Supreme Court in a series of three real, currently-pending United States Supreme Court cases. Competitors will be provided the parties’ briefs, the decision of the court below, and other relevant documents, and will compete in oral arguments through a series of individual elimination brackets. Competitors are not required to submit written briefs.
The Dean’s Cup Competition is open to members of the second and third-year classes only.
2021 Dean’s Cup Competition
The 2021 Dean’s Cup cases will be released on or about February 1, 2021!
2021 Competition Dates:
- Preliminary Round 1: March 8, 2021
- Preliminary Round 2: March 11, 2021
- Quarterfinal Round: March 18, 2021
- Semifinal Round: March 22, 2021
- Final Round: March 29, 2021
Competition Rules and Registration:
The 2021 Competition will be held entirely on Zoom. Rules for the 2021 Competition will release on February 1, 2021.
- 2020 Dean’s Cup Competition Rules
- 2020 Dean’s Cup Competition Scoresheet
- Registration for the 2020 Dean’s Cup Competition has closed.
- Guide for Counsel in Cases To Be Argued Before the Supreme Court of the United States
- Rules of the Supreme Court of the United States
- Federal Rule of Evidence 201 (Judicial Notice of Adjudicative Facts)
Prior Dean’s Cup Winners:
- 2020: Juan Moreno
- 2019: J. William VanDehei
- 2018: Ahmed Soussi
- 2017: Alaina Richard
- 2016: Andrew Hairston
- 2015: J. Benjamin Aguiñaga
- 2014: Danielle Borel
- 2013: Christopher Cummings