Copyright Law Resources
Law Library Guide
Legal Research Guides
Copyright Law Resources
Copyright Law Resources
Selected Guide to Materials at or Available Through the LSU Law Library
Foreign, Comparative, and International Law Librarian
NOTICE: The purpose of this pathfinder is to assist in the identification and use of potentially relevant sources of legal information. Nothing in this document should be interpreted as legal advice. Items cited in this pathfinder can be located using the library’s catalog. Also, many of the items cited can be used electronically through LEXIS, WESTLAW, and the Internet.
United States Code, Title 17, deals with copyright
- United States Code Congressional and Administrative News. Second Floor Federal Materials
- Legislative History of the 1909 Copyright Act. Fourth Floor KF2989.54 .A15 1976
- Kaminstein Legislative History Project: A Compendium and Index of Materials Leading Up to the Copyright Act of 1976. Not at LSU, available through interlibrary loan. ` ILL
- Omnibus Copyright Revision Legislative History. KF2989.52 .A15 1976
- Federal Copyright Law: The Legislative Histories of the Major Enactments of the 105th Congress (Digital Millennium Copyright Act, No Electronic Theft Act, Copyright Term Extension Act). Fourth Floor KF2988.8 1999
- Copyright and the GATT: An Interpretation and Legislative History of the Uruguay Round Agreements Act: 1995 Supplement to Copyright Law and Practice. Fourth Floor KF2994 .P345 1995
- Westlaw: General Revision of the Copyright Law, 1976. COPYREV76-LH
Code of Federal Regulations 37 C.F.R. Parts 201-204 deal with copyrights
Thomas: provides text and status of bills before the U.S. Congress.
- Use annotated codes.
- United States Code Annotated. Second Floor, Federal Materials. Westlaw: USCA
- United States Code Service. Second Floor, Federal Materials. LexisNexis: USCS
- Use West's Federal Practice Digest 4th and its predecessors. Topic: Copyrights and Intellectual Property. Second Floor, Federal Materials.
- Look for cases cited in footnotes in relevant treatise sections and law review articles.
- Look in the index to American Law Reports Federal (ALR Fed) to find relevant articles. Reading Room First Floor
- Westlaw: ALR
Copyright Office Publications
Finding Periodical Articles
- Legal Resource Index. Search by keyword or by subject. Use search terms such as Inventions, Inventors, Patent Infringement, Patent Law, and Patents (International Law).
- Current Index to Legal Periodicals. Use Intellectual Property Law as search term.
- Legal Scholarship Network: http://www.ssrn.com/lsn/index.html
Selected Specialized Copyright Periodicals
- AIPLA Quarterly Journal, from the American Intellectual Property Law Association, 1984-date.
- BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, 1998-date.
- BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Daily.
- The Yearbook of Copyright and Media Law.
- Print: Second Floor Journal Collection K29 .E36
- Idea: The Journal of Law and Technology.
- Print: Second Floor Journal Collection K9 .D4
- Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal.
- Journal of the Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Print: Second Floor Journal Collection K2 .U45
Use the Law Library's online catalog. Consider using United States Copyrights as a search term.
- The Copyright Book: A Practical Guide, 5th ed.
- Copyright Law: A Practitioner's Guide.
- Copyright Law: Student Study Guide.
- Intellectual Property: Patents, Trademarks, and Copyright in a Nutshell, 3d ed.
- Understanding Copyright Law. (3d ed. 1999)
- Goldstein on Copyright. (with current supplementation)
- Copyright Law and Practice. (with current supplementation)
- Copyright Law in Business and Practice. (with current supplementation)
- The Fair Use Privilege in Copyright Law, 2d ed.
- Nimmer on Copyright: A Treatise on the Law of Literary, Musical and Artistic Property, and the Protection of Ideas. (with current supplementation)
Most treatises and general formbooks also include licensing forms.
- Library of Congress Copyright Office Forms
- Computer Law: Drafting and Negotiating Forms and Agreements. (with current supplementation)
- Computer Software: Protection, Liability, Law, Forms.
- Doing Business on the Internet: Forms and Analysis.
- Kohn on Music Licensing.
- Lindey on Entertainment, Publishing and the Arts: Agreements and the Law, 2d ed.
- Protecting Trade Secrets, Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks, 3d ed.
- The Copyright Handbook: How to Protect & Use Written Works, 8th ed.
- Copyright Your Software, 3d ed.
- Getting Permission: How to License & Clear Copyrighted Materials Online & Off.
- Patent, Copyright & Trademark, 6th ed.
Books for Fun
- Code: and Other Laws of Cyberspace.
- Copyright's Highway: From Gutenberg to the Celestial Jukebox.
- Digital Copyright: Protecting Intellectual Property on the Internet.
- The Future of Ideas: The Fate of the Commons in a Connected World.
Email Discussion List
Foreign and International Sources
For a general discussion of Intellectual Property Research in an international context, see Stefanie Weigmann's Update to Researching Intellectual Property Law in an International Context: http://www.llrx.com/features/iplaw2.htm
The major website for international intellectual property law is the site of the World Intellectual Property Organization: http://www.wipo.int/
For additional information of doing research in European Union materials check the library’s research guides: The European Union
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works: Texts.
- Universal Copyright Convention.
- Convention for the Protection of Producers of Phonograms.
- International Convention for the Protection of Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations.
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (including Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property).
- For links to the full text of major copyright treaties in electronic format, see the WIPO Treaties page: http://www.wipo.org/treaties/ip/
European Union Directives, Proposals, and Reports
Foreign National Copyright Law
- Collection of Laws for Electronic Access [CLEA] database from WIPO, contains citations and full-text to the intellectual property laws of numerous countries of the world: http://www.wipo.int/clea/en/index.jsp
- Intellectual Property Rights, contains citations and links to intellectual property laws of Organization of American States member states. http://www.sice.oas.org/int_prop/ipnale.asp
- World Intellectual Property Rights and Remedies, contains summaries of national intellectual property laws written by attorneys as well as translated legislation in volumes 3 & 4.
- UNESCO Collection of National Copyright Laws contains copyright laws from approximately 100 countries. http://www.unesco.org/culture/copy/index.shtml
- International Copyright Relations of the United States: Library of Congress, Copyright Office, Circular 38: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.pdf
Selected Books on International Copyright Law
- International Copyright and Neighbouring Rights.
- International Copyright and Neighboring Rights Law: Commentary with Special Emphasis on the European Community.
- International Copyright: Principles, Law, and Practice.
- International Copyright Law and Practice.
- International Trademarks and Copyrights: Enforcement and Management.
- World Copyright Law: Protection of Authors' Works, Performances, Phonograms, Films, Video, Broadcasts, and Published Editions in National, International, and Regional Law.
- IIC; International Review of Industrial Property and Copyright Law.
- Print: Third Floor K Periodicals
- European Intellectual Property Review.
- Print: Third Floor KJ Periodicals
To find articles on trademark in general foreign and international periodicals, try using the Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals online or the same set in print at the Third Floor, Index table: Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals