Law Center Computers Available For Student Use
The Law Center has computers available for student use in several locations throughout the library. Students can log on to these computers using their Law Center account. Guests of the Law Library can request a temporary guest account at the reference desk.
- Software Available On Library Computers:
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Student Print Center
- Faculty Laptop Policy – It is at the discretion of each professor whether they will allow laptops during lectures. Faculty may ban laptops from classroom lectures entirely if they choose to do so.
- Laptop Technical Support – For technical support on your laptop, contact our Helpdesk at 225-578-4898 or come to Room 317 in the Law Center. We provide basic technical support for most laptops running the Windows or Mac operating systems. Support is provided to you as our time and resources permit. We will do what we can to help but it is entirely at our discretion as to how much help we can provide.
- LSU Discounts for Hardware Purchasing – We do not endorse any specific model or brand of computer. However, several companies offer discounts to LSU students. If possible, be sure to purchase an extended warranty that will last your entire law school career. To take advantage of these programs, visit the LSU IT Hardware Purchasing site portion of Tigerware.
This allows you to store and/or backup important files in a secure place on the Law Center file server. There is a private storage area that no other user has access to as well as an area where you can share files with other students and faculty/staff. Web access is available from any computer with an Internet connection at https://lawsrv1.law.lsu.edu.
- H: Drive – your private storage area on a Law Center server that no other user has access to. This drive automatically shows up in My Computer as the H: drive ONLY when you logon to a Law Center PC with your Law Center account. Files can be transferred back and forth from the local PC to the H: Drive with a normal Copy/Paste operation. To save a file to this drive while in an application such as Microsoft Word, go to FILE –> SAVE AS and choose H: instead of your local C: Drive.
- Y: Drive (students) or S: Drive (Faculty/staff) – storage area on a Law Center server where you can share files with others. Be aware that this is NOT a private storage area so it is not a good place to put files you don’t want others to access. This drive also automatically shows up in My Computer ONLY when you logon to a Law Center PC with your Law Center account. Files can be moved back and forth from the local PC to the server with a normal Copy/Paste operation. To save a file to this drive while in an application such as Microsoft Word, go to FILE –> SAVE AS and choose S: or Y: instead of your local C: Drive.
Wired Study Carrels
There are a number of study carrels on the 3rd and 4th floors of the Law Library that have electrical power and wired network connections. There is wireless coverage in these areas but the wired connections are a good alternative if wireless access is temporarily unavailable. To use a wired connection, plug in your laptop and visit http://netreg.lsu.edu to register your computer using your myLSU account and password.