August 27, 2014
The LSU Law Center PUB will open this fall on Thursday, August 14, 2014 – Tuesday, August 27, 2014, from 9am-noon and 1pm-3pm, Monday through Friday.Â The PUB is closed on weekends and holidays.
Myriam Escobar Aarabi
302 Law Center
225/578-8279 or 225/578-4704
This Week’s Workshop:
This week’s Advocacy Skills Workshop will focus on techniques used in giving an opening statement in a trial. Â Students should be generally familiar with theÂ 2014 Skills Workshops Case File, particularly the “Applicable Law” section. Â Students planning to participate in the 2014 Opening Statement Competition are particularly encouraged to attend.
TheÂ Law Center’s Advocacy ProgramsÂ are sponsoring a series of brown-bag lunch workshops every Tuesday and Wednesday during the fall semester, from 12:40 to 1:40 in the Tyson Room (S307). (No experience in courtroom practice is necessary to participate!)Â Designed to give 2L and 3L students exposure to a number of different courtroom skills, these workshops will complement participation in the many internal competitions offered at LSU, and also to assist students in developing skills that may be assessed in the Advocacy Programsâ€™ moot court and trial advocacy team tryouts.Â Participation is completely voluntary, signing up is not required, attendance will not be taken, and students may elect to participate in some but not all of the workshops at their option.Â The same material will be covered in both the Tuesday and Wednesday training sessions each week.Â The workshops will be taught by Prof. Jeffrey Brooks and theÂ coaches of the Advocacy Programs.
Students planning to participate in the Workshops should familiarize themselves with theÂ 2014 Skills Workshops Case File, available on the Advocacy Programs website.
The full schedule of workshops is below:
- August 26 & 27 â€“ Opening Statements
- September 2 & 3 â€“ Cross Examinations
- September 9 & 10 â€“ Basics of Exhibits and Objections
- September 16 & 17 â€“ Moot Court Tryouts Primer (Note: This session will cover what moot court team coaches are looking for in moot court tryouts, and will not relate to the 2014 Skills Case File.)
- September 23 & 24 â€“ Direct Examinations
- September 30 and October 1 â€“ Closing Arguments
- October 7 & 8 â€“ Expert Witnesses
- October 14 & 15 â€“ Motion Practice
- October 21 & 22 â€“ Arbitration Techniques