LSU Law Center Celebrates Its Centennial
Centennial Celebration Photo Galleries
The LSU Law Center celebrated its 100-year Anniversary on Friday, September 15, 2006. A day of activities commemorated the historic achievements of the Law Center.
Former Chancellor John J. Costonis welcomed dignitaries, sponsors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students to the daylong series of events. Noted guests included The Honorable John Breaux (’67 graduate), political consultant and author James Carville (’73 graduate), author John Barry, and LSU Board of Supervisors member and the 2002 LSU Law Distinguished Alumnus Charles Weems (’69 graduate), among others.
Crowds filled the John Barry headliner luncheon and the Stanford Centennial Speakers’ Series held at the Law Center. Some 650 guests attended the black-tie Gala at the LSU Pete Maravich Assembly Center held that evening.
Included in the day’s activities were:
The Centennial Luncheon – Lod Cook Conference Center
Topic: Nature Against Man: History, Politics and Katrina
Keynote Speaker: John Barry, author of Rising Tide and The Great Influenza
The Stanford Centennial Speakers’ Series – Law Center’s McKernan Auditorium
Topic: Louisiana’s Recovery-What Will It Take? When Will It Happen?
The forum was the inaugural event for the Stanford Centennial Speakers’ Series. The forum examined the economic, social, and political realities for post-hurricane Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.
Featured speakers were:
- Sean E. Reilly, Louisiana Recovery Authority and Chief Operating Officer and President, Lamar Advertising
Taking Stock One Year Out
- Anne Mathias, Director of Research, Stanford Washington Research Group
The U.S. Political and Economic Outlook
- Philip L. Dodge, Energy Analyst, Institutional Equity Research, Stanford Group Company
The Continuing Petroleum Industry Response
- John M. Barry, Author and Centennial Luncheon Keynote Speaker
The Outside Game: What the Rest of the Country Thinks and Its Impact
- John J. Costonis, Chancellor, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
The Black-Tie Gala – LSU Pete Maravich Assembly Center
Featured Cast: Political consultant James Carville (’73) and former U.S. Senator John Breaux (’67); LSU Board of Supervisors member and the 2002 LSU Law Center’s Distinguished Alumnus Charles Weems.
The evening included the following highlights:
- Debut of the historical documentary on 100 Year of LSU Law; Executive Producers Cyril Vetter and the LSU Law Center; LPB, producer;
- The best-of-the best “Assault and Flattery” shows;
- Dancing to the sounds of the Harmon Drew Super Group and other talented LSU Law graduates.
Baton Rougean’s Cyril Vetter (’72) and Mary Olive Pierson (’70) served as co-chairpersons of the LSU Law Center’s Centennial Gala. They were presented with commemorative gifts by Charles Weems on behalf of the LSU Law Center and Chancellor Costonis.